How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

Hi, I have found out today that my ex wife is accusing her

Customer Question

Hi, I have found out today that my ex wife is accusing her mother and four brothers of knowing she was bieng abused by her father from the age of 5 till the age of 13.
I believe she is lying but what should my motherinlaw and sons do as the father has been dead for a number of years ?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Do you know she is lying? Has she admitted to you?

Could you give evidence of that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, i have never been told anything like this, we were together for over 20 years.

She intends to go to the police and claim her mother and her four brothers new of this abuse and let it carry on from the age of 5 till she was the age of 13.

I believe her mother she would never of let this go on.

If my ex wife goes to the police, what would the implications be for my mother in law and her 4 sons. My ex wifes father has been dead for a number of years

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
No, I'm sure she wouldn't have known about this.

In any event, knowing about abuse is not an offence per se. Obviously there is a moral duty to interfere if there is any abuse but not necessarily a legal duty.

There is an offence of child cruelty that could be brought against the mother on the basis that she failed to protect her from the father but they are very unlikely to prosecute that.

The brothers are not affected by that offence at all.

Of course, the risk is that she will start saying they were involved in some way or otherwise assisted. That would amount to an offence. Whether it would be prosecuted or not depends upon how credible she is but its not likely really.

If you cannot comment on the facts there is not a great deal you can do. I suppose you could make a statement to the offices of their solicitors to the effect that she never made this complaint to you but probably it could not be introduced.

That does to mean that anybody will be prosecuted. False and weak allegations are quite common and the police are aware of this.

Hope this helps. Please let me know of you need more information. I will probably be offline till the morning now but I can respond then.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,