How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have just purchased a boat and have found hull damage that

Customer Question

I have just purchased a boat and have found hull damage that wasn't mentioned to me by the broker - am I covered under the sales of good act? It needs £2000 worth of work before it should be returned to the water.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

When did you purchase the boat and how much did you pay for it please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thanks for the quick reply. I paid £97,500 for the boat and purchased it at the end of November 2013.





Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay. I was travelling back.

The seller is in breach of the Sale of Goods Act as the goods are not of satisfactory quality.

Whether liability is with the seller or is with the broker will depend on the agreement that you have with the broker and the agreement that the seller has with the broker.

If it is not clear, then you would issue legal proceedings against both of them unless they agree to remedy this fault.

If neither the Seller nor the broker will not agree to put right whatever is wrong then your remedy is to do the work yourself and to sue the parties in the Small Claims Court.

You can issue here

You need to get an expert report to confirm what needs doing, why and the likely cost.

Can I clarify anything for you?