How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71039
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I would like to know if i can withdraw verbal information that

Customer Question

I would like to know if i can withdraw verbal information that i gave to the poilce - i didn't write a statement but know a report was made. can i ask for the report to be withdrawn?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 4 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the site, my name is Tony and I shall help you with this. Can you explain your situation a little bit more please?

JACUSTOMER-vzn6krsk- :

well i told the poilce some information which i wish i had never told them and has affected my life greatly. i didn't make a statement but would like to retract what i said to draw a line under this and carry on with my life

JACUSTOMER-vzn6krsk- :

sorry for the delay in my reply. are you still there?

tdlawyer :

HI I am.... can you expand on what kind of information, so I can identify the issues please?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Is this the first time you have done this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi yes

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Is this a domestic?

You are anonymous on here. Whats the nature of the information give? Is it f false?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, no it wasn't false information and no it wasn't domestic related


Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
OK. Whats the nature of it?

You are anonymous on here so its safe to be clear with me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i was told that someone is a drug dealer. it was heresay nothing more. i was also in a very bad state when i told the poilce with stress from a divorce etc. i was convinced i was going to get a criminal record if i didn't go tell them and they found out that i knew something. I actually literally lost my mind for a while. What i did has been worry me so i just am searching for a way out. Also the person who told me knows that i spoke to the poilce

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

You cannot undo what has been said ultimately. Once you make a statement to the police it is evidence that they can use.

If it just hearsay though then its not likely to be reliable evidence and they will probably not be able to use it as its mostly inadmissible.

On your substantive point though you cannot undo the fact that you;ve made a statement.

You can always tell the police that you may have been wrong. Obviously there are risks in that though. If you say that you have lied then that is perverting the course of justice and people go to prison for that. If its just that you statement may be innocently incorrect then that is different.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so if the poilce made a report from a verbal statement it is just the same as me making a written statement and signing it. i plan on going to the poilce tommorow to retract will i need to write a statement to do this

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Well, they can act upon the intelligence that you provide but unless you've made a S9 statement they cannot force you to attend court.