How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was stopped by police for driving without due consideration

Customer Question

I was stopped by police for driving without due consideration to the other road users. He told me that he would only send me a warning letter. I did not commit the offence. He charged me to the court. I did not have time to attend the court due to the new job I just secure. Court decision went against me to pay £500 fine and 5 point deducted from my licence. I appealed against the first court decision to the crown court. DVLA contacted me to send my licence to deduct the 5 points but informed them that I already appealed against the decision and that appeal case was scheduled for 20th Dec. 2013.

I never knew my licence was revolved by DVLA. The same police stopped me for putting on my fog lamp in the night. This was when I realised that DVLA has revoked my licence.
The police officer ceased my car and took it to the police car pond. I tool the police officer that the appeal case has been rescheduled for 20th Dec. 2013 in which the officer confessed he was fully aware.

Several attempts made to remove my car from the police car pound but they refused me. But told me to bring a written statement of fact from the insurance that they were fully aware that the my car was in the police car pound and that I have been given 5 points in my licence. My insurance refused to prove the letter despite informing the. My situation with the police and DVLA. They insisted that police should contact them to confirm this.

My car has now been squashed by the police after 13 days of not releasing my car from the police car pound. I have now won my appeal case and no £500 fine & 5 points restored back to my licence. DVLA already lifted the ban on my driving licence even before my appeal hearing date. Yet police refused to release my car. I have no car at the moment as police has squash my car.

Please advise me the procedure to sue the police for squashing my car as it was intentional no to release my car from their pound when they refused to contact my insurance company for verification of my car being in police car pound.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

You should to write to the Police and set out your losses and ask for a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court. Make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings which can be done online at: or by competing form N1 at:

The Court will then issue the claim which will be sent to the seller and they will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce it. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a hearing. If the losses are £10,000 or less then it will be a small claim and you do not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer : Please where do I write to for the police to get my letter
Alex Watts :

You need to write to the Police force that took the car - it should be on the ticket they gave you

Customer : Okay,after 14days elapsed if no reply from the police, can I go to court to pick form N1 or this should only be done online?
Alex Watts :

This can be done online.

Alex Watts :

Or you can complete N1 - it is up to you

Customer : my car worths only may be £3000 plus all the inconveniences they put through how much should I initially request from police in my letter to them?
Alex Watts :

£3000 is your loss

Alex Watts :

You can claim that

Alex Watts :

However if you were not insured then your claim will fail.

Alex Watts :

If the insurance company said they did not cover you a claim will fail/

Customer : Yes I was insured at the time. Should I continue paying for my insurance with any car now?
Alex Watts :


Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Customer : You have been excellent
Alex Watts :

Thank you - please use the ratings you see in front of you - they may be happy faces