How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

can my neighbor keeps blocking the rainpipe and floods the

Customer Question

can my neighbor keeps blocking the rainpipe and floods the alley between our two houses can he do this
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Is this damaging your property please?
JACUSTOMER-utdwixh4- :

i can not see any atthe moment but this has been going on for a year

Alex Watts : What reason has he given please?
JACUSTOMER-utdwixh4- :

once he said it was blocked but i poured down gallons of water down it and it ran away normally. then hesaid the pipe was broken but i can not see any damage apart from the retaining wall is not there.

Alex Watts :

You need to get a surveyor out to look at it and give you a report. This will state if anything is wrong with it. If there is something wrong your neighbour should repair it.

Alex Watts :

If there is nothing wrong - clearly the matter ends and there is nothing you can do.

Alex Watts :

Once you know what is wrong then you can get a number of quotes to put it right and that then becomes your loss

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request either he fixes it or you will sue for the cost within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,