How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

My ex boyfriend of 6 years left and now want me to pay him

Customer Question

My ex boyfriend of 6 years left and now want me to pay him money , he thinks he is entitled to something. I have always paid the bills, mortgage, etc, he paid for the big shop and if we went out etc. Over the 6 years we decorated the house. he paid for the TV and half out wardrobe etc. he says he wants all the money paid back or he will smash the tiles he laid and smash up the wardrobe. where do I stand with this. I gave him £3000 towards our car which I am happy for him to keep. I have been advised by the police that as I own the house I should change the locks but he has threatened me he will get in no matter what. Do I owe him money? Karen XXXXXX

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Unless you gave some expectation or reliance that he would have ownership over your property through his contributions, then you absolutely do not owe him money. Threatening to damage the house if you do not pay him money is not only blackmail but a criminal offence. See S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 - unlawful harassment of debtors.

If the property is in your name, you paid the bills and mortgage then it is your property and he has no rights over it, unless you led him to believe that in return for doing work to the house he would have some rights over it.

If he tries to coerce you again I would recommend that you keep a record of his threats and report the matter to the police.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for you advise, I will replay this onto him in hopes it will stem his anger.


Kind regards



Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Just to add to the information if your ex has in fact paid for or done work that has enhanced the value of the property then he may well have a small financial claim on the property - equivalent to either the value of the work or the amount by which it has increased the value.
He is also of course entitled to a share of the items he helped to buy - or some compensation for their worth
However since he actually moved out you can change the locks without giving him notice - which you could not of he was still living there
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.


Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,