How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My Soon was driving home from his girlfriends last evening.

Customer Question

My Soon was driving home from his girlfriends last evening. He was in the overtaking lane of a dual carriageway. A car came up behind him and tailgated him. He touched his brakes lightly to warn the other car that he was too close. The car then moved into the first lane and struck another vehicle. My son took the next exit and returned to the scene. A police officer was already at the scene. My son told the police what had happened and wanted to complain about the other drivers driving. After consultation with the driver whose car was struck, who indicated that the car behind my sons was too close to him and that she saw my sons brake light go on, the police officer said that there were three options open to him.
1. Was to warn both drivers about their future driving.
2. To offer both of them a course and that would be the end of the matter.
3. To charge them both with dangerous driving.

Much to my sons surprise the officer chose the middle course.
My son was very upset when he got home and said that he had done nothing wrong and had been terrified by the drivers actions.

I spoke with our insurance company and they said that as far as they were concerned my son had done nothing wrong and they would not accept any claim from the driver behind to claim for the damage to his car, which he has indicated he will do.
My sons car didn't strike anyone nor was it struck by any other vehicle.
Can you advise me what to do.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do we accept the course or have our day in court. The police officer asked us to wait a few days to make up our minds. My son has not been charged with anything as yet

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What more information do you need?