How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi there, I am asking this question on behalf of my housemate

Customer Question

Hi there, I am asking this question on behalf of my housemate that moved in recently.
When they left their previous residence, their landlord didn't hand over the £500 deposit that they had originally paid them. Understandably, the landlord wanted to check the room for any damage before releasing the money. Once the check had been made, the landlord found that a couple of screws were missing from the wardrobe (which they wanted to charge £35 for) and a small coffee stain on the carpet (which they wanted to charge £300 for). Obviously the "charges" are excessive, but what would be my friend's legal position be if they wanted to challenge these? Thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Is the property in Scotland or England?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The property is in England

Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
I will transfer you to that section.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thanks

Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Did they rent a room or the property exclusively please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Alex,

Basically, they rented a room from a private landlord. I believe that the initial contract was for 6 months and then one month rolling contract afterwards.

If it helps, my friend got a quote from a professional cleaning company for the stain and it came to around £120.



Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.
The deposit should have been protected and therefore he should complain to the scheme provider. The Landlord should provide details of this. The matter will then be considered by the TDS and they can see whether the charges are fair and reasonable.

The TDS can either agree with the deductions in full, agree with them in part or refuse it all together and order the return.

But complain to the deposit scheme provider in the first instance.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Alex,


Thanks for the info. I'll speak to my friend about this and come back to you if I need to.


Many thanks for you help



Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.
Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: