How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, Ive got a question regarding council tax debts....

Customer Question

Hi, I've got a question regarding council tax debts....
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have some outstanding council tax depts from the period of July 2010 to July 2011. For some reason I got away with not paying council tax for over one year. Then I moved from Tower Hamlets to Lambeth and I thought, well, I'm gonna pay later... But they never came after me. Instead - which I've found out now - they still think that I live there and they kept sending me invoices and court order stuff to this old address. I could keep it that way as nothing whatsoever has happened since, but as far as I can remember I have to pay interests on this dept. So if they discover me in 2 years or so the whole thing could get quite costly. That's why I'd like to resolve this issue - which isn't really an issue. I owe them maybe 1200 GBP which I can pay. But how? I don't want to go there in person nor do I want to tell them my new address.... I don't want anything except getting rid of these old depts...

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Is there any reason you don't want to give them your new address?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, I assume they have court orders to get their money and not only for 2010/11 but for 2011/12 and 12/13 as well. So it's a bit like preparing for the worst.... I'm acting a bit irrational, I know... so you would suggest just to go there and explain everything and then to pay what I owe?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.


if you have the council tax number then you can just pay them using that. If they do have liability orders though then this might have passed to the bailiffs so you will be liable for their fees but they can give you those details using your council tax number.

There isn't all that much point though in refusing your address. All that will do is rack upon the cost against you. Bailiffs will find you using a tracing service and you will be liable for that service.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They do have liable orders against me, and I fear it's more than one, although I technically owe them only a fraction of that. What I actually wanted is some practical advice. Shall I phone them, shall I go there, shall I send them an email, shall call the police... what shall I do? I really don't know... what could be the first step? That's the core question, I don't now where and how to start....

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
There's no point in calling the police. There's no offence.

You need to pay them as soon as possible. If you can do that then do it tomorrow.

Phoning them would be a good idea. It might gone to bailiffs now so they might refuse payment but they will give you the details of the bailiff company to pay.

There's no point in emailing or going there. You need to pay urgently.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Pay what? How do I know how much I owe them in total at this point? The police thing was a joke just to loosen things a bit up by the way... I'm not that hysterical yet... so the question is: How can I find out how much I owe them?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Ah. I see! Lol.

You phone them and ask quoting your council tax number.

It might gone to bailiffs now so they might refuse payment but they will give you the details of the bailiff company to pay.