How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Want to take my son and daughter in law I have them 6000 as

Customer Question

Want to take my son and daughter in law I have them 6000 as I have all my other children thousands I invested rest £13000 in an Ada to provide me money to be a back up as I was retire however my son phoned me and add me to
Loan the £10i had invested, he insisted he needed the money and who not take no for an and as I didn't like the time of his
Voice I reluctantly aggreed to loan £6000 and I transferred it into his bank immediately

He say that I would have it back to me by Christmas , he promised to tell his three sisters and get my car mot and serviced every year , he did it the first year and never told my sisters one knew she was in the phone when he made that call my son
Has been dreadful
To me over the money he had told his sisters the money is sprent and will never give me back
They are much better off foreign
Holidays new cars , going to America
This year it breaks my heart to do this but he is now in touch over 40 years with his father and he is saying it because of this there is much more but I so need help I a pensioner
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : I do not quite understand,are you saying you loaned your son £10,000 and now he won't pay it back? Was it agreed when he would please?
JACUSTOMER-60iq2wxf- :

no i gave my son and daughters cash from my fathers estate,which left about £13,000 for me to invest for my retirement my son received £6000 from me but a few months later phoned and asked to borrow £10,000 from my isa(retirement fund as i was already retired)he said he would pay it back by christmas two years ago i have asked him and asked to sit down with me to talk about paying it back but he cast me off from seeing him and his family and is spreading nasty remarks about me to his father who he is now seeing after forty years i am sorry i cant go through this i cant afford to pay please cancel my account i cannot pay for this

Alex Watts :

You need to write to your son and set out your losses and request payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If he does not provide payment then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. As the claim is for £10,000 it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

JACUSTOMER-60iq2wxf- :

i am not satisfied and wish to cancel my account immeadiately. catherine hill

Alex Watts :

What else would you like to know Catherine?

Alex Watts :

I have said how to get the money back in a legal way, which is to issue proceedings.

Alex Watts :

If they refuse to repay you that is the ONLY legal way you can get your money back

Alex Watts :

How else can I help you be satisfied today? It is my goal to make sure you are delighted.