How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Good morning, my husband and I are separated and trying to

Customer Question

Good morning, my husband and I are separated and trying to sort out custody. He has suggested 50/50 with one week on one week off !
My daughter is 2 half and I can't bear the thought of not seeing her for a week at a time.
I have suggested I have her from Sunday to Wednesday and he have her for Thursday to Saturday so with me 4 days and him3.
I am also due to have our 2nd child in 4 weeks and he thinks he should stay with me for the 1st year then do the same one week on one week off with him. Personally I don't want the two siblings separated as I'm concerned that my little girl could get jealous.
Advice please?
Sarah Cullis
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Who has has the day to day care of the child until now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Does your ex work - if so how does he propose caring for the child?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yeah, sorry we both worked but I'm going on maternity on 17th jan and on the days he has her, he wants to continue using our childminder.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
The most recent research shows that the shared care option he is suggesting does not work well for the under fives (and is not always good for the over fives either) as it interferes with proper attachment - and the suggestion that the children are separated in this way will also not find favour with the court
Your suggestion is more realistic but still does not give either of you a full weekend with the child which would be better
You should try and negotiate with him using Family mediation (www.familymediationehlpline) and you can find more information on this website
Please ask if you need further details