How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was made a job offer in November 2013 and given a start date

Customer Question

I was made a job offer in November 2013 and given a start date of 9 December 2013. After working out my notice in my current job, I was advised on the Friday before my Monday start that the offer was being withdrawn as a result of unsatisfactory references. I was astounded and spoke to my 2 referees who both assured me they had given me good references. I then found out that my new Manager in my current role who had been in post for 1 month and whom demonstrated within that short period a certain dislike to me had taken the liberty of contacting my new employers HR department to denigrate me. I also established that my boss had been previously employed by my new company. It appears that her unsolicited intervention cost me my new job despite the fact that she was not one of my original referees. I had a miserable Christmas and all my plans were thwarted when the offer was rescinded. My new role was £8,000 p.a more than my current earnings. Although I am now temping I feel the need to explore whether I have any legal redress against my old boss (of 1 month) who was not one of my original referees but appears to have used her past association with my new company to completely denigrate my reputation.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



I am happy to wait for the right advice.


Thank you.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

You could sue for breach of contract. But you would only be entitled to notice pay as per your contract or one weeks pay. But you would not be entitled to any more.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy. If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court. The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?