How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71133
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

The hillingdon council has recently reduced our housing benefit

Customer Question

The hillingdon council has recently reduced our housing benefit how can we move further to ask frothe shortfall?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Why has it been cut please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I understand that the council has simply reduced housing benefits as per councils decision on 16th December 2013.Please advise what avenues available.I am a disabled re tired dialysis patient and this shortfall in housing benefit is difficult.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

If this is just the benefit cap that was introduced last year coming into force then there is nothing that can be done about that I'm afraid.

There were some class actions that were brought to try to block this and they failed I'm afraid.

You do have a right to live in your property undisturbed but this isn't interfering with your rights to live there. This is just the council demanding that payments are reduced to bring the claim in line with the average wage. Its part of the Government's policy that benefits should not provide for more than the average wage.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.