How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71045
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

ZHIGH have leased a cottage for 12 years. During the past 6years

Customer Question

ZHIGH have leased a cottage for 12 years. During the past 6years the cottage has flooded ( kitchen and bathroom) in four of the six years; the current flood included the living room as well.
Repairs take approximately five months.The floods include sewage every time.
Can I sue the Landlord claiming that the cottage is Uninhabitable.?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What loss have you suffered please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My main loss has been my health. I am 75 years old ,have spinal fusion and was told this year that I have cancer . My health suffers mainly chest infections due to the continuing floods.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You have not answered my question .Yiu only asked me to sign-up for a monthly subscription. Totally unacceptable!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
The reason you are experiencing delay is that you have posted before I have responded which pushes the question to the back of my list.

I presume that you have an Assured Short hold Tenancy.

You only have grounds to sue the landlord if this is something that the landlord could reasonably have prevented.

Unfortunately, the landlord is not under a duty to provide alternative accommodation for you. So if he has done that, or has paid any of your costs in the interim, that is a bonus.

I do think that you would be entitled to end the tenancy though on the basis that the property is un inhabitable but you do not have a claim in compensation.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.