How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71040
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

hello I would like to find out some questions, I been refereed

Customer Question

hello I would like to find out some questions, I been refereed to debt collector by Talk talk . I relocated from London to Manchester in October 2013 , I have made the call to Talk talk to informed them about the changes and that I would like to transfer my line to the new address. They installed my new line in November 2013 but they didn't close my account in London and they didn't update my new address on the system,which means my account in London was still active and the bills hasn't been paid. In January 2014 I was contacted by debt collector company to collect my debt. My question is:
1- can I get a compensation from Talk talk for not doing their job properly?
2-if I was refereed to debt collector how this affect my credit score , and how long this stay on the system ,if I would like to apply for credit card would this appearer on the system?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What loss have you suffered please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I made a payment for month of October of £82 and they said that they will close my account in London today and that every thing is clear now. But I was refered to them in December 2013 which i didnt know because all my letter were going to old address .

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, but surely that £82 was due anyway?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes but I only find out about it week ego so I made that payment, how this affect me or my credit score once I been refereed to them

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Well, it depends.

Have they added a default?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

whats that?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
A default to your credit account?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I dont know how would i check that ? do I need to call them to find out


Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I am just travelling at the moment and do not have a permanent signal so as soon as I get a better connection I will respond. I won't be too long hopefully. Please don't respond to this thread in the meantime, thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay.

You seem to be saying that you paid £82 to settle an account at an old address? And Talk Talk did not close it?

You are certainly entitled to the £82 back although compensation would be a matter for them.

Do not try to deal with this on the phone. Set down everything in writing. Tell the that unless you receive a refund of £82 plus a reasonable sum in compensation by the 31st January you will issue at the small claims court.

They are in breach of contract for failing to close the original account not to mention various consumer legislation.

You also require them to reinstate your credit record into good order.

If you have not heard from them by 1 February then I would issue small claims court proceedings to get your money back. You can do so here

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.