How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We have a landlord that will not deal with repairs and we have

Customer Question

We have a landlord that will not deal with repairs and we have a lot of issues. Would it be legal to appoint my own tradesman and reduce my rent accordingly?
Jayne Patchett
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : What is wrong and what type of tenancy do you have please?
JACUSTOMER-0h275efu- :

I have a rolling tenancy contract and lived at this property since 2010. When we have repair problems the agent acting takes forever sorting things out. We have had repeated water leeks and damp walls,the leeks are sorted after months of emails and phone calls but the damage caused is never rectified. My main question is could we arrange our own tradesman and pay for work carried out by reducing our rent?

JACUSTOMER-0h275efu- :

Kind Regards,

JACUSTOMER-0h275efu- :

Jayne Patchett

Alex Watts : You need to get a number quotes to get the work done and that forms your loss. You need to write and set out your losses and request they do the work within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy. If they do not do the work you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court. The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: