How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34908
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

in 1992/1993, I took my ex wife to court on two occasions to

Customer Question

in 1992/1993, I took my ex wife to court on two occasions to get access to see my child, both cases i was awarded reasonable access. I then went to go and pick my son up and shed moved with no forwarding address. I tried finding him but no joy, years have passed and iv found him online, he has no belief I tried gaining access and I have lost all paperwork. what can I do to prove to him solicitors has now gone. so want to no if can get proof of court records trying to see my son
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
I have to admit that I am not hopeful - but do you remember which court it was in?
Did you use a Barrister?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Rotherham county courts the solicitors I dealt with for both divorce and access was winn and cooper at chapeltown, but they are no longer there but the case number on my divorce papers is 93D0134,i literally don't know where to turn

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Do you remember if a Barrister represented you in court ever?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes but I caant remember there name winn and cooper arranged everything

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know I had a barrister though


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

cant remember the name , but yes

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
There is no easy answer but I can give you some ideas.
The starting point is to ask the court if there is anything on your divorce file - you have the number.
There is no guarantee as by then Children Cases were being dealt with under separate case numbers
HOWEVER it did take time for some courts to adopt this so there is at least a chance that Rotherham were still linking the cases in 1992/1993.
If that fails then the next stage is to enquire of the local law Society
who took over the files from Winn and Cooper.
It is unlikely that the file is still in existence - but it is still possible and worth asking.
If nothing else they may have details of the lawyer who dealt with the case - who may remember the barrister.
Barristers keep their written notes - some of them forever.
As a last resort you could contact all the barristers chambers in the area to ask if any of them recall the case
I hope these give you some ideas of where to start
Please ask if you need some assistance