How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34888
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex-husband and I lived in England many years ago and we

Customer Question

My ex-husband and I lived in England many years ago and we both saved in individual private pensions. We are now legally divorced and living in different countries but my ex-husband owes me thousands in unpaid child support, can I place a lien against his pension in Britain to collect some of the debt which is owed to me ?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
In what country was the maintenance Order made?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The United States

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
And where is he living at the moment?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is still living in the United States, I'm living in Ireland with the kids. He cut the kids off many years ago, and doesn't want to see or hear from them. He also doesn't pay me any support, because he says he's unemployed. The Child Support agency have said he doesn't have to pay me anything at the moment because he has no income(except federal aid - food stamps)but he does owe close to $80,000 in back child support.

if there was away to place a lien on the his pension at least I could be sure of seeing some of the money I'm owed. As you can imagine, it's pretty difficult to bring up 3 children by yourself.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry but no there is no way that you can get a lien or any other form of charge on his pension here in the Uk.
had it been a pension in payment there might have been a possibility - but as things stand there is simply no claim that can be made.
I am sorry to have given such bad news.
Please ask if you need further details