How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

Immigration to the UK from Uzbekistan

Customer Question

I am a British national and have a girlfriend who lives in Uzbekistan with her son. We want to live together in the UK and I am wondering what are the options for her and her son to come over to the UK so we can live together. Her mother is already living in the UK and married to an Englishman (not sure if this is relevant). My understanding is that a fiancé visa may be the only real option for us to live together in the UK but for this we have to show a variety of facts to be true. One of which is that the relationship is genuine and subsisting. We do not currently live together as we are in different countries (her being in Uzbekistan and me in the UK). There is also the question as to what evidence of her English language ability is required.

Please can you advise of the options for us.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.

What is your current salary gross?
Do you have any savings over £16,000?
How have you been maintaining contact with her?
Do you intend to marry in the UK or Uzbekistan?

Kind regards
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
I would be grateful if you could reply to my questions so I am able to provide you with an answer.

Kind regards
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

I look forward to your reply to my questions.


Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I have been in Uzbekistan and had very bad internet connections. The answer to your questions are as follows:

Current salary £65,000
Savings of more than £50,000
Maintaining contact via email and Skype, with a visit last week to spend the week with her and her son
Not sue whether marrying in the UK or in Tashkent would be better. Assuming that her coming into the UK under a fiancé visa would be the best option, but open to suggestions

It would appear that she needs to take an English Language test in order to enter the UK.have heard the IELTS would be the best and easiest as it can be taken at the British Council in Tashkent before she applies for the visa.

So in summary, it seems the following would be possible:

1. She takes an IELTS course in Tashkent and passes it.
2. Applications made in Tashkent for a fiancé visa.
3. She travels to the UK and we live together.
4. Within 6 months we get married in the UK.
5. She can then live and work in the Uk without restrictions.

Please can you confirm that the above is. A correct understanding of the position. Also, any suggestions as to how this process could be completed more easily would be good.

Many thanks.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. It's not a problem at all.

Yes what you have mentioned above is correct, but prior to he undertaking employment in the uk she would need to apply for to switch from a fiancé visa to a spouse visa.

What this means is that she should need to submit another application in the uk prior to the expiry of her fiancé visa (which will be issued for 6 months ). Please see the following link for the application form and guidance for when she applies to switch to a spouse visa from inside the UK :

Your other option would be to marry outside the uk and then she applies for a spouse visa from outside the uk which will be issued for 33 months. During this visa she will be able to work in the uk.

It just comes down to on which route is most suitable for you.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



So if we get married outside the UK and apply for a spousal visa, does that mean that she can start work immediately when she comes over to the UK and we would not have to wait the 6 months when she arrives? She wants to be able to work as soon as she comes over to the UK. The second option would seem to allow that. The wait would presumably be for the spousal visa which she can apply for over in Tashkent. In summary this is my understanding of this option:


1. I go over to Tashkent and we get married in tashkent

2. She applies for a spousal visa in Tashkent to come over to the UK.

3. The visa is granted for 33 months

4. She flies to the UK and is able to start work immediately


Is this a correct understanding of this method?



Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes absolutely, as soon as she arrives to the uk on a spouse visa she is allowed to commence employment.

I hope this clarifies the matter if so kindly rate my answer positively.

Kind regards