How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now

i ran my in-laws farm without pay having being told that part

Customer Question

i ran my in-laws farm without pay having being told that part of the farm would be mine after their days,who are know deceased there is one son who owns two thirds of the farm.could i sue him for wages. the majority of the farm is rented out
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Hi . How long did you work on he farm for nothing? Were they clear about how much of the farm would be yours? Do you have any evidence to support your claim.

There is an english law doctrine called proprietary estoppel which effectively prohibits someone or their estate from denying a claim to property if the claimant was induced to act based pun a clear promise of ownership of the land. One of the most recent cases involved someone who worked for a relative for no wages on a farm on the promise that he would inherit it. The relative later revoked the will with the result that the claimant had no to the farm legal claim as there were closer relatives to inherit on intestacy. The court upheld the claimant's case that he was entitled to the farm.

You wil need to have clear evidence supporting you case however. You should start by telling your brother n law - in writing - that you have a claim to the farm and you are going to pursue it.

You should try and get a local solicitor to act for you.