How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

i am opening a tattoo shop. I need to know what type of license

Customer Question

i am opening a tattoo shop. I need to know what type of license my shop needs to have, type of licenses, how long it takes to get the license, how much does it cost?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : You need to contact your local council and ask for a tattoo, piercing and electrolysis licence.
Alex Watts : It is generally a one off fee, the price varies from council to council.
Alex Watts : For example Norwich is £238
Alex Watts : Bristol is £106
Alex Watts : For more information please see
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-gumcwndy- :

Hi there,

JACUSTOMER-gumcwndy- :

Hi there, thanks for your respond.

JACUSTOMER-gumcwndy- :

Basicaly i need to know the whole process.

JACUSTOMER-gumcwndy- :

Some shops have some type of licenses, i was wondering what type of license the shop needs to have. I see some shops with licenses A, B. What they are?? Is that something ill need? The estate agent, which i am going to rent the shop from said that the shop has some type of license which is not good for tattoo shop and i need to change it?

JACUSTOMER-gumcwndy- :

Probably ill need to have some health and safety checks? I am very poor in this... What the rates will going to be? Could i reduce the rates for the first year, as i am new business? Thanks

JACUSTOMER-gumcwndy- :

I would really appreciate your help, Thank you. I just want everything to be proper, i don't want any surprises. May be if you want to add something... Thanks. Bob

Alex Watts : Bob you need to contact the Council.
Alex Watts : Each Council will have its own policy, as can be seen from the fees charged,
Alex Watts : They set what types of licences and what extra requirements there are.
Alex Watts : It is down to each council so I can not give you a generic answer.
Alex Watts : But your local council will hAve a website and the information should be publically available.
Alex Watts : Does this clarify for you?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: