How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10737
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Hello My neibour has recently aquired seperate direct access

Customer Question


My neibour has recently aquired seperate direct access to his property making his right of way over my land (which forms part of the old shared access) redundant.
He has approached me about extinguising the the right of way and closing off the old shared access thereby dividing the two properties.

I have 2 questions about this.

1. what is the procedure to achive this where both parties agree?
2. How long does usually it take from start to finish?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

Your neighbour will need to instruct a local Conveyancing Solicitor to prepare a Deed of Release and you will also need to instruct your own Solicitor as, once the Deed is signed by both of you, it will need to be registered against both yours and yours neighbours Deeds at the Land Registry. It should take approx 6 weeks from the date your neighbour instructs his Solicitor,

Please note that if either of you have a Mortgage over your respective property, the Mortgage Lender will also normally need to sign the Deed, which can delay matters by a couple of weeks.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the prompt response I think this answers my questions so far.

Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks.

Can I be of any further assistance?

Kind Regards