How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am purchased a new house in Manchester. The contract has

Customer Question

I am purchased a new house in Manchester. The contract has been exchanged and confirmed by letter that it will be ready on 28/03/2014.
at the moment I am living in rented accommodation.
recently I received a phone call, saying they are lacking behind without any specific reasons and explanation. And said that it will be ready at the end of April 2014
Can I claim compensation. Please advise.
Kind regards'
Dr Nadeem Ahmad
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Have they given a reason for the delay please?
JACUSTOMER-kt5a9nx6- : No
Alex Watts : Yes you can claim compensation. This is because if you have exchanged contracts it is legally binding.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy. If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court. The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts :

Please take a moment to leave feedback before you go today

JACUSTOMER-kt5a9nx6- : Hello Alex,I would like to know about claiming compensation.i written to solicitor who is dealing with it.he says that u can not claim compensation,as u did not mention that it is newly built house.however I did mention to u that I am purchasing new home.the solicitor is their solicitor from where we are buying this property,so he is trying to twist the things in their favour.
JACUSTOMER-kt5a9nx6- : i also check web site In purchase hand book on page 14 regarding exchange of contacts in which they have mentioned that exchange of contact is carried out on the telephone.on the contact it is consider fixed date.i wonder what is your answer. Kind regards. Dr nadeem ahmad