How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71051
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

After my husband moved out, 6 months ago, he purchased a car

This answer was rated:

After my husband moved out, 6 months ago, he purchased a car and appears to have registered it at my address. I have received letters for him from the DVLA and insurance companies, all of which I have returned to sender with his last known address on them. I currently have a non-molestaion order on him, therefore cannot contact him about it. Is this fraudulent and if so what can I do about it?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

It is not fraudulent.

There is a road traffic offence in failing to to tell the DVLA where a car is kept but its very rarely prosecuted and they are unlikely to be interested.

You probably should tell the DVLA that the car is not kept there to avoid any bailiff attendances from any parking fines etc that may be accrued.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.


Can you just verify that, although he no longer lives here, it is not illegal for him to use my address to make such purchases on H.P?




Sorry for the delay.

Its not that its not illegal. Its just that its not an offence unless, of course, he is doing it to avoid payment.

It would have an impact upon the contract if he is using a false address.
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile