13262538

A friend of mine is divorced from her husband. She lives here

A friend of mine is divorced from her husband. She lives here in the UK and lives in the house that they are both named on the deeds for. However, as part of her divorce, she gets to stay in the house, and he pays the mortgage as part of the Child Maintenance agreement. They have a document from the divorce that states that if and when the house is sold, he gets no financial benefit from the sale - thus, all the proceeds will be hers.

However, it turns out that he now owes £250,000 in unpaid taxes in Germany. She is now worried, that should he be prosecuted for failure to pay, that the German Authorities could take the money owed from the value of the property (making her and her two children homeless). Is this correct?

My thought was that the divorce states he has no financial claim on the property, and therefore it wouldn't be considered an asset of his - and therefore, she should be protected by that. Am i right? I just want to help her to alleviate some of the stress she is feeling - any comments would be very welcome...
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you
You are correct - under UK law the proceeds of sale belong to her.
Since any enforcement would have to be under UK law there is no risk that the house can be touched.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Clare, I will pass this on to my friend. This should help her get some sleep and offer her some comfort. Much appreciated....

...particularly the bit where you said I was right!!!

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well