How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

An Injunction to stop a local authority carrying out rodaw

Customer Question

An Injunction to stop a local authority carrying out rodaworks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jo

Our town council has installed a one way traffic system on a trial basis and is now embarking on making it permanent.

The permanent scheme is nothing like the trial basis which now involves complete closure of the High street for 8 weeks and the installation of a "Shared Space" traffic system.

The Townsfolk were NOT consulted on this change.

We have set up a referendum in accordance with the Local Government Act 1972 and the vote to hold a referendum will take place on 6th February - after which it is the hands of the District Council

We have asked the council to suspend works until after the result of the Referendum but they have refused to respond.

Our concern is that they will bulldoze through with the works before the result of the referendum and present us with a "no way back" fait accomli.

Will an Injuction stop them?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jo

I am not sure what further clarification you require.

The council are carrying out extensive roadworks that the people and traders never asked for and never wanted.

There has been no consultation before the permanent works and the road closures started.

The 8 week closure of the high street is only 1 week away.

It will effectively kill the commercial heart of the town.

We have a town referendum in place but the result will not be available for about 6-8 weeks.

We have to stop them NOW. Will an injunction be the answer?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Just to let you know, I've passed this onto somebody else as its clearly not my area now you have provided more information.

All the best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jo

How long before I get a response?

Best regards

Mike T.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.


It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Nicola

Please keep trying.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hello Mike,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Nicola

Please cancel the question - it is taking too long.

Best regards

Mike T.