How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now

My wife is from China her visa ran out in December 2012. I

This answer was rated:

My wife is from China her visa ran out in December 2012. I was getting the paperwork ready to apply for another visa when we had a miscarriage at 12 weeks. My wife became pregnant again and we had a baby on 20th November 2012. I have been meaning to get it sorted out since then but with my wife being ill for a short while and the car breaking down twice and costing a lot to repair I have not been able to sort it. it is now been over a year and I am not sure how to sort it out anymore. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi thanks for your question. When did your wife come to the uk? How long have you been married. on what basis did she enter the UK?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My Wife and her son (now 13) came to the UK on 29th November 2010 on a two year spouse visa which ran out on 6th December 2012. We were married on 8th January 2010 so we have been married four years.


Many Thanks


Peter Bird

Thanks. Because your wife's visa has long expired the correct way to rectify the problem is to leave the country of her own choice - she is currently here illegally- and reapply to enter on a spouse visa.

I appreciate that may not be a very attractive option but that is none the less the only way to deal with things within the rules.

You can in the alternative apply for a new spouse visa in the UK on discretionary grounds particularly if her son eis in school here and I assume after 3and 1/2 years you have established a family life here.

They may grant it - if they refuse and try to deport her you should be able to resist that on grounds that she and her son have established a family life here but it is not guaranteed.

I you want to apply here then she should apply on form FLR(0) as she is not eligible to apply for an extension of here spouse visa since that has no lapsed by some considerable time.
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience: Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
Senior Partner and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password XXXXX you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,