How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71051
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was assaulted on 27/12/13 . The man in question was charged

Customer Question

I was assaulted on 27/12/13 . The man in question was charged with GBH yesterday ! So I was wondering whether I need a lawyer ? And the best way to proceed ?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Jo C. :

Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this. What are you actually hoping to achieve in this situation?

JACUSTOMER-ucuxbge0- : 1 - will he get a lighter sentence if I do not have a lawyer ?
JACUSTOMER-ucuxbge0- : 2- best way to proceed for compensation ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I have converted this to Q and A as I couldn't view your responses.

In relation to the criminal matter, you cannot have a lawyer. You will be dealt with by CPS and ther is just plain no role for an independent lawyer.

In relation to claiming compensation, you will probably need a personal injury solicitor to do that but its worth waiting to see what happens with the criminal matter. If he goes to prison and has no assets then there is absolutely no point in suing him because he cannot pay the award even if you won.

If he does not go to prison then you have a better chance of recovering compensation although obviously his means will be relevant.

There are some no win no fee firms that will look at these cases for you with no obligation.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.