Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I tried to renew my UK passport but was told that it was damaged

I tried to renew my UK passport but was told that it was damaged - because of this, I won't be able to get a one day fast track renewal (it'll take 5 days) and so I will miss my flight to the USA next Wednesday. There is some wear and tear, but nothing that would seriously indicate tampering. Is there any way to appeal this?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

The relevant policy on renewing damaged passports can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/118581/damaged-faulty.pdf

You will see that there is a definition of what a damaged passport is.

In the section titled ‘Responsibilities’ you will also see there is a discussion of what would happen if the holder has pre-booked travel and the Passport Service is still able to use the Fast-Track or Priority service fin these circumstances. You must advise the telephone booking service that you are travelling next week on pre-booked travel and ask them to book you into one of the premium services. You will be expected to provide evidence that you have pre-booked travel on the days you claim.

Customer:

Hi - my name's Al.

Customer:

I went to the passport office today, having booked a one day/fast track appointment. Because the passport has been deemed "damaged", they can now only offer a 5 day service - too late for me. I don't understand why there's no flexibility or if there's any way I can appeal the decision to call it damaged. Can you advise?

Ben Jones :

Did you tell them you were travelling next week?

Customer:

Yes, I did but it made no difference.

Ben Jones :

Strange because the policy deals with this. Anyway if you want to take the matter further as with any Government department it is not a straightforward matter and you are expected to follow the official complaints process, luckily you still have a few hours left to do this today as they close at 8pm. The complaints process can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-passport-office/about/complaints-procedure

The first step is to call the number you would have called to make an appointment and there would be a complaints section there that would deal with this matter

Customer:

I'll try the number - thank you.

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome. Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the advice I have provided as that is an important part of our process. Thank you and feel free to bookmark my profile for future help:

www.justanswer.com/law/expert-ben-jones/