How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been living in my privately rented property for 3 years

Customer Question

I have been living in my privately rented property for 3 years and have been paying in arrears. My contract actually ran out about year ago and hasn't been renewed (it doesn't say on there that I've been paying in arrears) but the landlord has just told me via text that I have to start paying in advance in 3 weeks time when my next payments due. So instead of paying £640 I have to pay £1280 in 3 weeks time. Can he legally do this?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Can I presume you are not in arrears of any kind?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No we're not.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

You do normally have to pay in advance with rental contracts. However, if your contract originally was silent on the point and he has been allowing you to pay in arrears then you could argue that is the term of the contract.

If it is the term of the contract then he cannot just vary it without your agreement.

What he can do though is give notice. He cannot just do it without proper notice of course. He needs to serve a proper S21 notice upon you and give you no less than two months notice. You will be on a periodic tenancy agreement now and you do have rights to remain. he hasn't done that so far but he could if he wished and you cannot hide from that.

Overall though, a Court would probably accept its unreasonable to expect this sum in such a short period of time.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.