How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a teachers pension totalling approx. 100,000k. I am

This answer was rated:

I have a teachers pension totalling approx. 100,000k. I am getting divorced and want a clean break. How much should I pay my husband - he has £20k pension value.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together and how long have you been married?
Are there any children involved?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



The children are adults.


We have been married for 23 years. (living together for two previously)

incomes approx: me £50k Him £30k


We have sorted out other assets - no debts.



How long has your pension been running
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Approx 25 years


There are two ways to address this.
You can take the simple approach based on the figures that you have
The total pensions are £120,000 - a 50/50 split means that the Pension Sharing Order needs to Transfer 40% of your pension Pot to his so that they are balanced.
Alternatively you can get an Actuary to assess both pensions and give a more refined figure.
If you wish to give him cash instead you need to to discount the £40,000 considerably - to anywhere between a third and a half
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks - I am due to retire relatively soon - and would get a large lump sum due to my length of service.


Are you saying I don't need to consider this - but could just give a share of the £40k?



Please bear in mind that I have assumed that you were working with the Cash Equivalent Transfer values of the pensions
If you agree a Pension Sharing Order now then what you receive later on will in fact be reduced in any event as your "pot" will be smaller
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you