How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a caution Theft Shoplifting in March 2009 and its appearing

Customer Question

I have a caution Theft Shoplifting in March 2009 and its appearing on my CRB what can l di to clear it
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Is it inaccurate?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

I see you have relisted this.

CRB is now called DBS. However assuming infromation is accurate then an entry will remain in the folliwning circumstances

 Cautions given less than 6 years ago (where individual 18 or over at the time of caution)
 Cautions given less than 2 years ago (where individual under 18 at the time of caution)

Therefore if you were over 18 at the time it will come off if you were over 18 in 2015. If you were under 18 at the time it should have come off.

If the information on the check is wrong then you need to fill out a dipsute form which is available at

For more information please see

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

I'm very sorry for the intervention above.

I will really need the information I asked for as it would make a difference.

If its inaccurate then you can write to the chief constable asking him to remove it or correct it. If that fails then you can complain to the information commissions for free. There is absolutely no point in pursuing DBS in those circumstances. Its free to do and its much easier than DBS.

If its not incorrect then you can write to DBS asking them to remove it but sicne it will be removed in 2015 in any event it might not be worth the expense to you in doing so.

There is cost in pursuing an application to remove and the success rates, although higher than they were under the old CRB system, are still not all that high.

If you are intent then you can always approach the Bar Pro Bonu Unit to see if anybody picks it up.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.