How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a seperation agreement in 2009 but this was not registered

This answer was rated:

I have a seperation agreement in 2009 but this was not registered at court but both parties had legal advice prior to signing it. We have been seperated for over ten years. There are no children involved. We agreed to me having a charge over his new property which was purchased by a company and that I would lend to the company (overseas company) a sum of money and my husband would give a personal guarantee if the company defaulted in honour of its obligations under the charge. I have not had the lump sum or maintenance that is owed to me. My husband/comapny has defaulted. The Title Absolute is in the name of thecompany. How can I enforce my charge against my husband and/or the new company and what is the procedure? How long would the proceedings take and what are the costs?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What assets and debts does your husband have?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I cannot answer these questions as I have been told to research this problem for my principal and do not have any notes on these points. Finding it very difficult as it does not appear to be a TOLOTA claim. She has a charge already so not a charging order. Order for sale automatically? It was a very large property that was purchased in the companies name.


I was considering breach of contract for terms of seperation agreement. I think she wants to start divorce proceedings now.

There are two options.
This is not a Tolata case at all.
So far as the Charge is concerned this is straight property law and taking repossession
As Between the Husband and Wife it forms part of the Ancillary Relief side of Potential Divorce Proceedings
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do divorce proceedings need to be commenced first prior to enforcing charge? What repossession proceedings are they? Under what act?
The two issues stand alone.
The first is simply a Charge on the property - a non residential mortgage
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The charge is in fact a legal mortagage on the property from reading the CH1 so how do I proceed now?

Sets out the process
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you