How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

What is the definition of Secondary Education in relation to

This answer was rated:

What is the definition of Secondary Education in relation to child maintenance payments and where do Sixth Form colleges not attached to a school fit in with this. e.g. a college offering a performing arts BTEC First Diploma Level 2 at age 16/17. Thanks Avril


Performing Arts BTEC Level 2 Diploma

Why study this course?

This is an exciting, practical-based course which is studied over one year, and is the equivalent to four GCSEs. It provides an excellent grounding for those hoping to pursue a career in the performing arts or who wish to study more advanced courses such as BTEC Level 3 Performing Arts, Dance or Music. You need to be enthusiastic, and prepared to work hard on practical assessment projects.

What will I learn?

You will:

  1. Study units in acting, devising and movement and perform in a variety of projects throughout the year.

  2. Develop a range of practical skills such as improvisation, voicework, movement skills, acting from script and storytelling.

  3. Form your own theatre company and learn how to create work for a target audience.

  4. Learn about the Performing Arts industry and look at job opportunites and possibilites for further training.

  5. Learn how to research for performance projects and keep journals to record your progress.


You should hold three GCSEs at grade D or above, preferably including English. There is also an opportunity to retake Maths and English GCSE alongside this course if not already achieved.






1 Year


Sixth Form Haywards Heath

Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you
It is not a question of which establishment the course is offered at but the level of the course undertaken
Anything below a Degree or its equivalent is still secondary education
The actual definition is here
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Clare,


This does not relate to my question. It is not about child benefit but maintenance charges which the court applied for each of the children 'until they reached the age of 17 or leaves full time secondary education'. This is not linked to HMRC rules etc.


Kind Regards


Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

If the child continues in full-time non-advanced education, not higher than A-level equivalent, for at least 12 hours a week, then your maintenance payments will continue until your child finishes or until they turn 20.

Therefore if they are in college doing 12 hours a week or more you are responsible until they turn 20.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

20 that seems a bit harsh... how is secondary education different from further education as the court was very clear at the time that it did not include further education?


Kind Regards


I am telling you the rules that are the CSA rules. These recently changed as it used to be younger.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thanks Alex

The court order and judgement was made for a 'clean break' with an amount of £300 per child individually which specifically stated secondary education and has subsequently dropped by £300 each time a child leaves secondary education. Therefore not entirely in line with CPA.


Kind Regards


Secondary would be any course beyond normal GCSE's.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do you mean further would be any course beyond normal GCSE's?



Yes Avril - that is secondary education.


The CSA and Court both operate to the Guidance as set out by Child Benefit - so the answer to what is secondary education is as set out in the Child benefit Guideline.

The Course that you refer to counts as Secondary Education as the Court Ordered Maintenance should continue.

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you