How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I gave a friend £6000 in cash to buy a car for my daughter.

This answer was rated:

I gave a friend £6000 in cash to buy a car for my daughter. He said cash would be best because he could a better deal. He works in a garage and has connections so we thought it wouldn't take long. However, it is now nearly 4 mths and he keeps giving us various excuses. I've asked for our money back and he says he will get it. This was 3 weeks ago. I think he has spent the money and I won't to know if I can sue him to get it back. Only problem is, I've got no witnesses when I handed over the cash

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What reason has he given for not returning the money to you please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He hasn't rfeally given an excuse. He just says leave it with him and he will get the money

Thanks for the information.

You can sue him. Its a small claims court sum now that the levels have increased so it will be cheap enough to issue against him. You can do so here

There isn't really another way of recovering from him if he refuses to pay. The only way to enforce this is to sue and get a CCJ.

Obviously its one thing to get judgment and another to get the money but without judgment its very unlikely that you will see the money given the situation you describe.

Its a good idea to send him a letter before action though making clear that you will sue if he does not pay within 28 days. Maybe he will pay. Maybe not. The fact of the letter will protect you from costs though.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you