How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a house built in 1910 which my husband and I bought

Customer Question

I have a house built in 1910 which my husband and I bought in 1978. We had damp and In May 1984 appointed XXXXX XXXXX Preservation to inject chemical to create a damp proof course ( rising damp had been diagnosed) We were given a 30 year guaramtee ( I have the piece of paper)
In 2011 I called them back because I believed there were slight signs of return. I was told categorically that it was not rising damp although the report came back referring to it but of a different house construction.
In March 2012 I called them back and he said the damp was from another source and would not agree to having the chemical injection re done free of charge. At the time I was trying to sort out a possible gas escape ( Gas safe inspected and said there wasn't ) but I then had to deal with that issue which took my eye off the damp issue. SSE were recommended by my gas suppliers Atlantic which led to a six month battle to take out the 28 kw boiler they had installed and replace it with a larger more suitable boiler - a 40kw. Since then I have had to call them out 4 times but I am in control of that.
All this hassle has freed XXXXX XXXXX. Do I go to another builder to do the job and pay ( with difficulty) or can I hold XXXXX XXXXX to account with a little help. I have been a widow since July 1999 and feel that some of the problem has stemmed from that.
Please guide me
Marianne Thomas
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

I see you have a 30 year guarantee on this product.

Alex Watts :

Have you had a surveyor out to confirm the cause please?