How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

i lived in a house my brother owned and paid rent my mother

This answer was rated:

i lived in a house my brother owned and paid rent my mother left me £5000s inwhich i used some of it 2 decorate it .ibought most of the light fittings ,i tiled the floors and put down wooden flooring . 4 years agoi paid for a log burner and boiler costing about £3000 to get it installed and linked up to the central heating . i have now moved into a smaller house that he owns at the time of moving i asked him to move my wood burner but he said it would make to mush mess and that hewould buy another one to replace mine I thought it was a direct swap he would keepmineand the new one was mine .Butnow hesays they both are his and has said hewill put me out if idont give over about the wood burner and other items can i claim   my items back or get my money back my brother told me to go and get what iwanted out of the house but when i went down he had some one else living in it


Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Do you have proof that you purchased the wood burner?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i have receit

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i have receit

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
you asked if i had proof of buying wood burner when

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would like to know if i can by law get my wood burner back or claim the price of it i have the receit as proof that i bought it .



We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Did you have a rental agreement please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes he helped install the woodburner. and another brother took me to buy it and he helped my brother in question to install it there was never any problem until i asked about getting it back

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you