How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

Hi. I have just forced an internal door in the house that I

Customer Question

Hi. I have just forced an internal door in the house that I own solely in my name. Can I be in trouble with the police? I am separating from my partner whom I am currently still living with?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 4 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Can you give me a bit more detail please. Why did you force the door? Was it the door to your partner's room?

JACUSTOMER-ao0wbltr- : Thank you. Can I be in any trouble for this. I called out on 5 or 6 occasions and no one answered. I pushed hard on the door and it broke open.
JACUSTOMER-ao0wbltr- : Sorry yes it's the door to the main bedroom although we are currently estranged
JACUSTOMER-ao0wbltr- : The door also leads to an em suite which I have been using for months. Tonight though I couldn't open the door
LondonlawyerJ :

Was she there at the time and did she call the police?

JACUSTOMER-ao0wbltr- : She was there although I called out 5 or 6 times. I have used the door to the en suite for the last 3 months whilst we have been having problems. It's been open every night apart from tonight. I only wanted some toothpaste. As soon as it was open she said she was going to call the police and tell her solicitor. I own the house outright. Should I call the police?
JACUSTOMER-ao0wbltr- : Hi are you there. Can you help me????
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
You cannot be arrested for Criminal Damage since you own the property.
There may be an allegation of violence - and it is entirely possible that your ex will use this to try and obtain an Order excluding you from the property, but there is no criminal charge arising from what you describe as having happened.
I hope that this is of assistance
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 4 years ago.

I see that Clare has assisted on this. She is right that you can not be arrested for damaging property that belongs to you.

Has your ex made any allegation of violence or threats? I am assuming that she hasn't or you would have mentioned it.

I don't see any need for you to call the police. Indeed there appears to be no reason to and it would not be a sensible thing to do as it might inspire your ex to make allegations which could lead to your arrest. If this happened then it is possible bail conditions could be imposed on you keeping you away from your own home.

If you have another bathroom in the house I would suggest you use that from now on.

I hope this answers your question but please feel free to ask further questions and I will continued to answer.