How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi. We move into our new house last Friday having had our furniture

Customer Question

Hi. We move into our new house last Friday having had our furniture in storage for over a month. We were called the Friday before our move in date (24.01.14) by the removal company to advise that our possessions had been flooded on their warehouse in Kent on Christmas Eve. They advised us they had opened our crates assessed the damage and undertaken cleaning of some effects already. They advised that we should await the delivery of the furniture on 31.01.14 to assess damage and agree next steps. When our furniture arrived we found that the most of the furniture had mould growth/smelled and several items were missing. We took out their recommended insurance to cover damage whilst in storage however we are advised this may not pay out and it is not a new for old policy. Can we claim from the removal company rather than the insurance as it was their premises that were defective?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : What is the value of the difference please?
JACUSTOMER-irlvzb74- : Alex, hi. Currently about £7-8k
Alex Watts : Ok. Let me just type my response.
Alex Watts : The company has a responsibility under Section 13 of the Sale and Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 to act with all reasonable skill and care. Further they under a duty to look after your items and not be negligent.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: