How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

What is the next step when the chairman of a residents assocation

This answer was rated:

What is the next step when the chairman of a residents assocation resigns

Thank you for your question.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Is the residents association a limited company?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


It is a not for profit association called Syon management limited



Thank you.

I have checked the Companies House register and I believe this is a limited company under registered number 01769399.

Even if it is a non profit association the rules of the Companies Act 2006 still apply as it is a limited company. You need to take the following action assuming the chairman is chairman of the board:
1. Hold a board meeting confirming and accepting the directors resignation;
2. Update the company records, specifically the register of directors; File this form TM01 with the registrar of Companies.
4. Check the articles of association. See if there is any minimum number of directors required or any minimum quorum. If there is a minimum you will need to appoint a new director before any further business of the company can be transacted;
5. Finally make sure the out going director returns any company property including financial and statutory records.
6. If desirable and/or required by the articles of association appoint a new director to be chairman.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you