How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was burgled on friday and we are tenants. I have contents

This answer was rated:

I was burgled on friday and we are tenants. I have contents insurance which will cover my belonging but not the door (the glass was broken to provide entrance) who is liable to pay for this being fixed?

we have a crime refrence and the insurance are clrea they will not pay for building repairs as i only have contents insurance. My landlord is saying that she will not pay my insurance should cover it

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : I can not see that glass is a content. Contents would be things such as tv etc.
Alex Watts : The window is part of the building and is therefore the landlords responsibility.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

She's adamant that cause and effect is in her favour, since the burglar cam i to get my goods my insurance should pay for it.. which is bizarre

Alex Watts : Yes. Do you know the costs of repair?

roughly £250

Alex Watts : ok. What you could do to get it fixed is pay and then sue the landlord through the small claims.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

thas what i was thinking to do.

Alex Watts : Quickest route probably.

nope! id doene my research on it soi just wanted an expert opinio.. thank you!!



one more question, whats the time frame i need to work in? if i fix it tomorrwo do i have to ask er for the money in a certain time frame?

Alex Watts : You have 6 years to ask for the money!

brill, thanks

Alex Watts : If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you