How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now

I want a simple agreement (preferably in letter form, but if

Customer Question

I want a simple agreement (preferably in letter form, but if not a simple document/agreement) for a friend to hold ordinary shares in a private company, on my behalf
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
In what circumstances do you want to do this. It can be done by a declaration of trust. You can find one free here:

However you should be aware that the register of a company is evidence of legal title - a but like the registration of a car - so your friend could transfer the shares to a third party without necessarily you knowing.

To protect yourself you need to make sure you retain both the share certificate and a share transfer form signed so you can re register the shares in your own name.

You will not of course receive notices or anything else from the company if you are not the shareholder.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for this.


I did not get the full link to the Declaration of Trust document, please can you give it to me again?


Many thanks.

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.

if it does not work, the website is