How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

hi, about a year ago i bought a car from sandicliffe car dealership

Customer Question

hi, about a year ago i bought a car from sandicliffe car dealership and asked before i got the car for a spare key and manual and a year on i still have not recieved it and i have rang the car dealership up multiple times but not only that my car tax disc is about to run out and to my surprise they havent even issued me with a certificate to say im the cars registered keeper is there any legal action i can take against them?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What action are you hoping to take?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

any kind really i think its unacceptable that something as important and spare key and registration certificate has not been supplied to me im not sure what kind of legal action i can take so its why im here

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Surely they have informed the DVLA of the change of ownership though? You should have had confirmation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i think they have i have had a green slip with me as registered keeper but no certificate maybe this was a bad idea and should just talk to sandicliffe and sort it with them on my own

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Well, you can only do that if they are agreeable.

If you can give me about 30 mins I will type out an answer for you.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I am so sorry for the delay. I typed out an answer for you and it didn't upload on my ipad.

The short answer is this. If there is a spare key then it should be provided to you. There is no justification for it being retained and clearly from a security point of view you would not want a spare key being held elsewhere. Obviously it isn't worth suing for the value of the key but what you could do is threaten to change the locks and sue for the cost and you would soon see them move then.

In terms of you being the registered keeper, that is a different matter altogether. In fact, its for them to tell the DVLA that ownership has changed to you and it would be surprising if they hadn't. Its not really in their interests to fail to do that. That would render them liable for any parking fines etc while its in your possession.

If they have not then that is an offence and you can just complain to the DVLA about it.

If the issue is that they haven't provided the log book then you are entitled to that and obviously there is only one logbook.

You can seek a replacement here

There is cost in that but you could sue the seller for the cost.

You need to write to them giving them 28 days notice of your intention to act against them. If they still do not comply then take these steps and issue against them but its not likely it will come to that.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.