How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

British Airways owe me £120.19p for a cancelled flight

This answer was rated:

British Airways owe me £120.19p refund for a cancelled flight which they are happy to process. Unfortunately the debit card that I used to pay for the flight no longer exists as the bank issued me with an updated card since purchasing the original flight. British Airways will only refund me on the original card and NO other way therefore I am unable to get my money back.
There has been Numerous e-mails, telephone calls etc to both British Airways and my bank (Santander) but at the moment it's stale mate.

I still have the same bank account, sort code etc as I had when purchasing the tickets.

Please can you advise

Mr Keith Bray

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : If they refund to the original card won't it just be recrefited
Alex Watts : recreited to your original account?
Alex Watts : Have you checked this with Santander please?
JACUSTOMER-cizj1i1y- : No. The card no longr
JACUSTOMER-cizj1i1y- : No. The card no longer exists. Santander state that they are unable to process the credit as the card number no longer exists in their system. Likewise BA WILL
Alex Watts : Ok
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-cizj1i1y- : No. The particular debit card no longer exists. It was replaced by an alternate card offered by Santander which had totally different card number.Santander state that they cannot process any credit against a card that no longer exists. This is despite the old and new cards being assigned to the same bank account and sort code
JACUSTOMER-cizj1i1y- : Does the online form need to be taken to the County Court?
Alex Watts : You can issue at
Alex Watts : Or download form n1 and yes take that to your local county court.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you