How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

we own a house jointly mortgage paid .and my partner has gone

Customer Question

we own a house jointly mortgage paid .and my partner has gone to live else where , who is responsible fore the councill tax
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I will assist you.

The person who is liable for the council tax will be the person that is actually living there.

If a couple lives at the property then regardless of whos name is on the council tax demand they will be jointly and severally liable.

If you are living at the property alone then you alone will be responsible. I would bare in mind that there is a discount for single persons occupancy at a property which you may be eligible for. You will have to inform the council of this change to your status.

I would also note that your partner will remain liable for any council tax that is unpaid and relates to the period when he was not residing at the property. In theory if you have paid this on his behalf you could claim it back from him.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards