How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have power of attorney for my mother and have been acting

Customer Question

I have power of attorney for my mother and have been acting on her behalf for 3 years. I had no idea when I started, how much time and effort this would take. I am now having to cut down my paid employment to attend to her. I know that she would want to help me. Is there any way I can claim for my time from her money?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
May I ask why dealing with her financial affairs is so complicated?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She needs a lot of help. She lives in a rest home but I get called in to assist her often for hours at a time, often more than twice a week.EG her wheelchair needed mending, her turntable broke, she wants more clothes Her financial affairs are sorted out, apart from I forgot to put an allowance for me in to it.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid that there is no allowance that you can claim for doing this work.
You can use it to pay someone else to do these things if you would rather
I am also afraid that you certainly cannot use her money to pay your mortgage - or in any other way for your benefit
I am sorry to have to give you such bad news - please ask if you need further details