How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71137
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi A so called friend stole my bank card out of my bag

This answer was rated:


A so called friend stole my bank card out of my bag and took 300 pound out of my account,
This was taken to the police in which this person posted 150 through my door,
He was eventually asked by police to go into station for questioning.
Turned out it was his word against mine
Which I wasn't happy with the outcome at all. Police said it wasn't going to be taken any further ~ fuming.
Feel really let down by the police to be honest, This person said to police that have agreed to pay all monies owed,
In which I am still waiting can you please advise

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I want to know if I could instruct a solicitor to send him a letter, ref payment of unauthorised money that was taken from my account,

Also could the payment be sent to solicitor for my collection or forwarded into my account please,



You can do that. There will be cost in a solicitor's letter. It might be effective. It might not.

Another option is to sue him here

in civil law for the return of this money.

The fact that the police couldn't charge for lack of evidence doesn't mean you cannot prove this in civil law. There is a different standard of proof at the civil courts.

You can always send him a letter before action yourself which will be much cheaper than a solicitor's letter.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Will this mean me going to court

If he contests it then it would I'm afraid.

Whether he will contest it or not it another matter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your help