How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Good morning, I need advice and to know what my rights are

Customer Question

Good morning, I need advice and to know what my rights are as my husband of 15.5 years has walked out on me and our children. The house is in his name. He has turned to alcohol & drugs & has been staying in a hotel paying £70 a night since 5 January. I have tries talking to him to try and solve this & for him to come back but he keeps on saying he doesn't know what he wants & that he might be looking for a flat but does not want a divorce. I really want to try and dirt things out before a divorce but I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do.

Thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
How old are the children?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?