How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35076
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am a British citizen, got married in Mongolia in 2003 with

This answer was rated:

I am a British citizen, got married in Mongolia in 2003 with a Mongolian then got divorced in 2005 under Mongolian law.... I live in the UK, am I now allowed to get married to another British person in the UK?Ps; in 2003 we never signed the registry nor got married at the time in the UK.She is now insisting to go to court to get a divorce! Is she out of her mind?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you have a copy of the final Decree from Mongolia?
Who is insisting that you do through a UK divorce?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi ClareThank you for your prompt response, I don't have the Decree papers, she has everything , the second answer to your question; she is insisting, and her reson is that she is having a second baby with him, and she wants to marry him, that's why? Even though she now has got her British Passport , why is she doing this? it's all very confusing, to cut the story short, I singed some papers she asked for, about 4 years ago, saying I was no longer attached to her that was back in 2009, and that was it and I never saw her again, she has now rang me asking me if I could do her a favour and come to court with her and sign more papers!
Where does she live?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She lives In London, look clear I just don't want to have anything to do with her, I just want her to keep away from me.

This is the man she was having an affair with since I was with her in 2001 then she wanted to marry me then she wanted to divorce me in 2003 to marry this man, now, all of a sudden after all these years, nine years to be exact, she is chasing me, to singn these papers to say she is divorced. I do not know what she wants from me I just want to get on with my life that's all is ,that legal?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Clare

Can you please answer my question?
My apologies for the delay.
At the time of the Divorce were either of you living in Mongolia?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I was only there for 2 weeks , that was in 2003, then she came over to the uk towards the end of 2003 and stayed with me for 12 month only, and moved out towards end of 2004 because she fell in love with another man. She asked me to write a letter 3 years later (2007)to say I was not with her so she could marry him, so I did.
I have not heard from her ever since, until last week she rang me and insisted she wanted to marry him again because she is having his second child and her solicitor advised her to call me and go to court to sign some papers again.
To be honest Clare I don't want to have anything to do with this woman, and I don't even want to see her... I just want to get on with my life.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you please respond!!!
Again I am sorry for the delay - it has been a day of meetings.
From what you have said it is likely that you are in fact still married to this woman - so if you wish to be free of her then you do need to have a divorce here in the UK.
You should write to her and say that you will agree to a Divorce based on the fact that you have lived apart for more than five years so long as she makes no claim for costs
For the avoidance of doubt the fact that you did not register the marriage in the UK does not mean that it is not recognised here in the UK.
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you