How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I bought an alarm system in 2009 paid deposit £1000 and £3000

This answer was rated:

I bought an alarm system in 2009 paid deposit £1000 and £3000 on was a house call.that lasted for hours,i was just widowed.i paid by cheque. the company has just been found guilty do I have a chance of getting my money back.
Cath Montgomery.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Found guilty of what? Did you issue proceedings please?

so sorry I just received the call the morning,i think I will have to get a bit more information on it so sorry for not having that information, I will get it and then get back to you as soon as possible.


Hi so sorry for the delay,the company was charged with Gross miss selling tactics



Alex Watts : By the Council
Alex Watts : Did you have a full system or only pay a deposit?
Alex Watts : I am just on the train so may be on and offline.

I paid for a full system

Alex Watts :

And what have they been taken to Court for? Does the alarm work?


no as it was a wireless one connected via my telephone line that is all gone.i do still have all tha equipmentsorry I am not that

Alex Watts :

You should to write and set out your losses and ask for a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court. Make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings which can be done online at: or by competing form N1 at:

The Court will then issue the claim which will be sent to the seller and they will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce it. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a hearing. If the losses are £10,000 or less then it will be a small claim and you do not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


thank you so very much for being so helpful,as I an 77yrs old I am not up to all that .many thanks.regards Cath.

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Alex.

Many thanks for your email I have just decided to let it all end now.Thank you so very much for all your advice and help much apprieaciated.


Yours Faithfully.

Catherine Montgomery.

All the best.